Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Long Weekend And A Soup Recipe

Saturday morning of a long weekend is sheer bliss!!! You can wander around your little piece of heaven on earth and not have to worry about looking presentable. That thought came to me a little while ago as I was making my way to the clothesline ....there is a nice breeze out there and yes it will probably wind up blazing hot out after lunch but I don't care. Thinking about what I can get accomplished over this mini-vacation I know without a doubt I will be right here wandering around cyberspace perhaps sending occasional thoughts out into the void...laundry goes without saying so I don't bother including that! I'd like to get some reading in ...I am reading two at a time right now...can't help it...one is Debbie Macomber's latest Cedar Cove novel that just came out this week and the other is a library book. I know I will be cooking of course....Paula's Farmers pork chops will be on the menu on Monday...and spill over to Tuesday. Lord the morning is practically gone and here I still sit....LOL Oh well. Here is the recipe per request...for Potage Parmentier (Leek or Onion and Potato Soup).  This is a great soup base according to Julia...you can add other vegetables to it like broccoli, carrots, cauliflower...but alone it is YUM!

According to Julia you need:

A 3 to 4 qt. saucepan
3 to 4 cups of peeled potatoes, sliced or diced
3 cups of thinly sliced leeks or yellow onions...if using leeks include the tender green
2 qts of water
1 Tb salt.

Now Julia says:

Simmer the vegetables, water, and salt together, partially covered, for 40 to 50 minutes until the vegetables are tender; if you use a pressure cooker cook them under 15 pounds of pressure for 5 minutes, release the pressure, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.

Mash the vegetables with a fork, or run them through a food mill ( probably could use a food processor here). Correct the seasoning...set aside uncovered until just before serving..then reheat to the simmer.

Now you will need:

4 to 6 Tb. whipping cream or 3 Tb of softened butter
2-3 Tb. minced parsley or chives

Julia says:

Off the heat and just before you serve stir in the cream or butter by spoonfuls.  Pour into bowls and decorate with herbs.

YUM!

That's all there is to it...according to Julia! Enjoy! Loveyameanit...Queenie

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmm....that sounds so good. Going to the market later. So simple & doesn't take long. Hey, thanks. Luv U 2.

    ReplyDelete